Goods transfer shed
    

 

Overview of the original
The shed I want to build is based on the mid 1960s-built shed at Gracefiled yard, Lower Hutt.

As yet unable to establish exact date of build, but an idea can be got from various Whites Aviation aerial photos in which the shed cannot or can be seen. A search on 'Gracefield' found plenty to look at.

 

 

May 1963 and there's no sign of the shed. Or the office.

 

 

Looking quite new in October 14 1965.
The new yard office that I also want to build eventually, is also there now - bottom edge, right.

(Credit - Both of these pics are snips from Whites Aviation photos stored online at our National Library)

 

 

 

I used to hang around Gracefield yard and Woburn station a bit as a youngster in the school holidays, watching all the shunting.

The yard was also used as a shortcut in the weekends when nobody was about, to fishing spots off the Seaview reclaimation and Point Howard wharf. Took the odd photo of a wagon or two while passing through. Just wish I'd taken some of the shed!

Like any project, you have to gather info - as many pictures and drawings of the proposed subject and you can.

A plan view was easy to get hold of thanks to the Hutt City historic aerial views website, and using known sizes of track gauge and wagons pictured in the yard, it was relatively easy to calculate measurements.

 

 

Snip of 1977 view from Hutt City historic aerials

 

 

Then on the Valley Signals site I found some pics of the actual shed during the last days of the yard in 2002. . .

for example. . .

 

The shed, looking south-west-ish
(Credit - The Valley Signals website)

 

 

Then there's these captured screen shots from a video segment "K class hulks" I stumbled across on an old Rail Scene VHS tape number 8, that has the panning camera catching some fuzzy but useful interior detail - especially underside detail of the roof. For example. . . .

 

(Credit - Rail Scene VHS tape number 8)

 

So using all this info I was able to create reasonably close 1:76 scale drawings of roof plan and end elevation.

The roof will overall measure in OO scale, 680mm long and 258mm wide, so quite a decent size.

The 4ft 6ins platform edge to track centre, and 2ft 5ins platform height measurements are from NZR specs, while the 13ft between tracks is calculated from the aerial views.

And below is a scan of my scribbles for the end elevation, south end.

 

Click on the image for enlargement.

 

 

 

Construction overview
The structure consists of nine supports or ribs, each made up of H beam main and platform posts, and rafters made up of an I beam joining the two posts at roof level, then tapering I beams extending outwards each side.

There are end walls to provide shelter from prevailing northerly and southerly weather.

A channel gutter runs atop of all the main posts where the two roof panels meet, from which there are some gullies with downpipes coming down next to some of the main posts for drainage.

Several roof battens join all the rafters, to which are fixed corrugated roof panels - including some clear panels for skylights.

The corrugated material that is also used for the end wall sections and roof awnings, appears to be a jumbo size, and in measuring and calculating, it's close to a five or six inch pitch (distance peak to peak of the corrugations) rather than the usual household three inch.

There is a narrow concrete platform running the length of the shed, and similar height concrete foundation walls extend out at each end on the road side to support the end walls. There's a wooden strip along both road and rail side platform edges.

 

Framework construction
After checking measurements, the main posts will be Evergreen 4.8mm H beam, with 2.4mm H beam for the platform posts.

An Evergreen 4.8mm I beam (with a widening taper section at the main post end) will join the two posts at under roof level.

The same size I beam will also do eventually for the channel gutter.

 

 

Parts ready to make up the first rib.
The three tapered
I sections were made up from 0.5mm sheet and 0.5mm x 2.5mm strip.

 

 

 

(Above and below) The first rib assembled.

 

 

 

Ok, now to make eight more of them. . . .

 

Taper sections built for the other eight ribs - an evening's work in front of the telly.

 

Using the one rib already made as a master, and laid flat on a sheet of glass, various pieces of scrap plastic strategically positioned around and under it to create a jig for the assembly of further ribs. Once happy with positioning, all the bits - except the rib of course - were superglued to the glass.

 

 

Ready to go!

 

Using a jig where you need to replicate accurately assembled shapes like this, really really speeds up the process. I was easily and accurately able to churn out the other eight ribs required in a very short time. The time was in waiting for the glue to set!

 

Nine ribs, undercoated one side already.

 

 

 

Will make a base and goods platform from 2mm ply for rigidity.

Roof battens will be 2mm x 1mm styrene strip.

The end wall and awning frames will be made from 1.3mm square styrene strip as per the drawing.

O scale corrugated material will be used on the roof, awnings, and end walls to represent the jumbo size material.

More to come. . .

 


Home